Thursday, July 10, 2008

the job...

So, Sarah informed me today that it's time for a new post. I responded by reminding her that my life is boring right now because someone is up in Denver instead of down here with me... But she said that that's what blogs are for - writing about the mundane stuff...

Things are going okay, even though Matt is out of town this month... I definitely would prefer for him to be here, but I think I'll make it. :)

Today all of the mid-levels at work (the nurse practitioners and physician assistants) had a welcome lunch for the newest nurse practitioner who just joined our group this week. It was fun to get to know her, she's really sweet and just finished school - like me! She was feeling quite overwhelmed by everything, and we spent a lot of time answering her questions and trying to put her at ease. Our conversation made me think back to my first few weeks at my job, and the feelings I had... I was reminded that I am SOOO blessed to have my job. My first few weeks actually weren't that stressful - mostly because of the incredible boss I have. She is always willing to answer my questions, and she teaches me so much everyday! She's always been very approachable, which is awesome for a PA just out of school.

I've learned so much since I started my job, and I actually feel like there are days when I don't have to ask a ton of questions, just because I know what I'm doing now! I still make the occassional mistake, but I have to remember that's to be expected during my first couple of years.... that's why I have a supervising physician who looks at everything I do within 24 hours of me doing it! (that's my security blanket) :)

Looking back over 6 months at my job, there are a lot of things that have given me great satisfaction. I love being able to teach newly diagnosed Diabetics about their disease and how to manage it. I love getting to see them frequently for follow-up and watching them make good progress.... some more than others, of course. I have one lady who has lost 16 lbs in 2 months which is HUGE for a diabetic!! Another part of my job that has been surprisingly rewarding, is teaching young/adolescent girls about the importance of practicing good judgement regarding sexual activity. I've been surprised and saddened when I realize how little they know about the consequences of their decisions. (How blessed I am to have parents who helped protect me from so much!) I love getting to be the one to give them their "talk", and when we find something unexpected, to be able to take good care of them and motivate them to change their behavior. I really thought I would hate this part of my job, but I seriously LOVE IT!! Surprising brand new moms with a positive pregnancy test is always a fun one, too.

My job also involves some necessary evils... like charting. aaaahhhh! I hate it. But I try to do a really really good job, and that's probably part of the reason it takes me so long. :( ...speaking of which ... I have some waiting for me right now...

anyways... I guess that's my mundane post for now. I hope everyone is doing well!
love you guys :)

2 comments:

sarah said...

Yay! I loved this post Christine. How fun to read about what you love about your job! What a blessing you must be to each of your patients... and how encouraged they must feel after meeting with you!

happy charting :)

Greg and Bobbie said...

hmm... a job where they tell you how you're doing :) i think i'm way too comfortable because they don't check in on me really... waiting on that to implode! thanks for reminding me sometimes extra counseling time with patients is more important than beating that clock huh? we need to have a reunion to learn from each other! wish i'd gotten to see you and hope you're better now!